Monday 30 July 2012

A new project: a Tethering Indicator

Scenario
I usually take a train in the weekend and travel for 150 km with my Macbook or Tablet connected to my Android phone in tethering mode by bluetooth or wifi.
While I travel by the train, my phone is usually inside my bag and I only have in front of me the Macbook...  I check only sometimes the phone but it is mainly inside my bag.
During my travel the phone connection change a lot and pass in one of this state: no connection, only phone network, 2G or 3G.
What I'm searching to create is an app on the phone that talk with my macbook and regularly send information of the network state of the phone.


How should it work?
These are the step that I have in mind:
  • I launch the apps on the phone and start the bluetooth server
  • I launch the application on the mac
  • I establish from the mac the connection with the phone
  • On the Mac menubar, an Icon display the state of the phone's connection.
This is the basic idea.. but I have some new improvements in mind.




What have I done till now?
The first version of the mac client is in "under construction" state..  The application is capable to connect to the phone but I don't know, for now, how to put and change an icon on the menu bar for the various phone connection state... Need to go deep about it.

Android side is in progres: it is capable to create a bluetooth server and send informations to the connected client back...
Something on the android client will be visible tomorrow soon.

Other platform?
Of Course!
stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment